Why clean a BBQ?
Good and safe barbecuing starts with a clean BBQ. By cleaning the barbecue you extend the lifespan of the equipment and you improve the taste of your food. If it is not cleaned on time, grease and burnt food remnants stick to the grill and the inside of the BBQ. The inside can start to become mouldy too.
Clean the BBQ and the grill with soapy water every time after using them. The grease and food remnants are easy to remove at that point. It means that next time all you need to do is light up the BBQ and grill delicious food.
4 tips for cleaning a BBQ
You can clean the BBQ in various ways. Various tips are shared on the internet. HG randomly selected 4 tips for cleaning a BBQ.
1. Clean a BBQ grill with an onion and baking soda.
- Mix three tablespoons of baking soda with a tablespoon of water
- Apply this mixture to the BBQ grill. If the BBQ grill is extremely dirty, sprinkle some extra baking soda on top.
- Leave to absorb for a little while and clean the grill with a sponge or a grill brush.
- Cut a raw onion in half.
- Heat the BBQ grill and put on oven gloves.
- Rub half of the onion over the hot BBQ grill.
- Carefully turn over the grill and rub the other side with the onion. The acid in the onion loosens the dirt. Take the other half of the onion when the first half no longer produces any liquid.
- Wipe the grill clean with a sponge.
2. Heat the BBQ
Clean the BBQ by heating it. Leave the barbecue to heat up properly for 15 minutes with the lid closed. The food remnants burn away. Then brush the barbecue with the right brush.
Baking soda and onions are two DIY methods of cleaning grease of your BBQ grill or gas grill. This is how you use them:
3. Clean a BBQ with a wodge of aluminium foil
Take a piece of aluminium foil of ± 20 centimetres and shape it into a ball.
Rub over the barbecue grill. You will remove all the burnt-on food from the grill. Then brush the BBQ clean with an appropriate brush.
4. Put the BBQ grill on grass or use a wet newspaper
Leave the BBQ grill to cool completely and leave it on the lawn overnight. The dew on the grass soaks off the food remnants. The next day all you need to do is wipe off the loosened food remnants. That makes cleaning your BBQ grill a lot quicker.
If you don't have a lawn? Wrap the BBQ grill in a wet newspaper. It works in the same way and the dirt does not cake. This method is suitable for aluminium and stainless steel grills. Don't use these methods for cast-iron grills. There is a chance they will rust.
*The above tips are no guarantee for success.
Easy BBQ cleaning with HG barbecue cleaner
HG barbecue cleaner removes caked-on and burnt-on grease quickly and thoroughly from the BBQ. Cleaning a rusty BBQ is a much simpler job with this cleaner. The product also removes discolouring from stainless steel grills.
How do you use HG barbecue cleaner?
Complete the following steps to achieve the best result with HG barbecue cleaner.
- Heat the grill or BBQ to a lukewarm temperature. This enhances the effect of HG barbecue cleaner.
- Spray the surface, leave the liquid to work for 3 to 5 minutes and then clean with a wet sponge.
- After all the grease has been removed, clean the BBQ or grill once more with hot water.
- Repeat the treatment several times for extremely dirty barbecue grills.
- The grill or BBQ is clean again.
Prevent grease and food remnants on the BBQ
You can never completely avoid grease or food remnants on the BBQ. Fortunately, you can make the cleaning process a lot easier by creating an anti-stick coating on the BBQ grill. This works as follows:
- Heat the BBQ before you start grilling.
- Cut a potato in half and then rub the potato over the BBQ grill. The starch in the potato produces an anti-stick coating.
- Prepare the dishes.
Clean the BBQ. This is now much easier.
- Alternatively, you can apply sunflower oil or olive oil to the grill or rub it with half a lemon. This prevents your meat or vegetables from sticking and it saves time during cleaning.
Frequently Asked Questions about cleaning a BBQ
How do I prevent caked-on food on the BBQ?
It is important to clean the BBQ and the grill thoroughly after barbecuing. This is how you prevent food from caking on hard.
How do I clean grease of a BBQ grill myself?
- With baking soda or an onion
- Heat the BBQ grill
- With a wodge of aluminium foil
- Put the grill on the lawn
Which HG product do I use to clean my BBQ?
With HG barbecue cleaner you can clean the BBQ quickly and effectively yourself.