Why is it difficult to get mascara out of clothes?
Mascara is greasy, because it contains oil. That means it smears easily. The fact that it contains oil means that water on its own doesn't do the job. That makes it difficult to remove the mascara. Whatever you do, do not rub the stain, because it will smear even more.
It is simple to remove a mascara stain on a shirt with HG
We have HG stain away no. 5 to remove mascara from clothes quickly and effectively. HG stain away no. 5 has been developed specifically to remove make-up stains. Removing mascara from clothes is not a problem with HG stain away no. 5. After using HG stain away no. 5, the stain has disappeared completely. Do you need to remove mascara stains from bedlinen, a fabric sofa or the carpet? Use HG stain remover extra strong.
Complete the following steps to remove mascara from clothes with HG stain away no. 5:
- Treat an inconspicuous part of the fabric first to test it for colourfastness.
- Where possible, remove as much of the residue from the stain as possible.
- Fill a dish with HG stain away no. 5. Put the part with the stain in the dish.
- Leave to soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rub the fabric against the fabric and then rinse properly with warm water. Repeat the treatment if necessary and leave to soak longer, but do not let the liquid dry out.
- For smaller stains, put the fabric on an absorbent white surface, such as a white tissue for example.
- Dab it with a cloth drenched in the product and then rinse with warm water.
How to get mascara off clothing with alternative products
If you wonder how to get mascara out of white clothes, HG stain away no. 5 is the quickest and the safest way to remove the mascara stains. There are home remedies too, but they are not always effective. You use them at your own risk.
1. Remove mascara from clothes with alcohol
Alcohol works against oil. So you can use it to get a mascara stain out of clothes. Add pure alcohol on a cotton wool disc and gently blot the stain with it. Repeat this until the stain is completely or almost gone. It generally helps to then leave the garment to soak for 30 minutes in a bucket of lukewarm water with detergent. Then you can wash the mascara from the clothes in the washing machine.
2. Remove mascara from clothes with shampoo
Shampoo also helps against mascara. You can also use washing-up liquid instead of shampoo. It is usually better to leave the mascara to dry first, so that hard pieces can be scraped off. Then put some shampoo, or dish soap, on the stain and dab the stain with kitchen roll. Keep repeating this until the stain is no longer visible, and then wash the garment in the washing machine.
3. Remove mascara from clothes with ox-gall soap
Ox-gall soap works too, as it does with other make-up stains. Wet the soap slightly, add it to the stain and rub it on. Then wash the garment immediately. But at no more than 50 degrees, as ox-gall soap is not effective at higher temperatures.
If you have a good tip on how to get mascara out of white clothes, please let us know!
Frequently Asked Questions on how you get mascara out of clothes
Can you get mascara out of clothes?
You can remove mascara stains from clothes with:
- Ox-gall soap
Which HG product do I use to remove mascara from clothes?
To remove mascara from clothes quickly and effectively, we have developed HG stain away no. 5.